Thursday, December 8, 2016

A MIGHTY GOD AND HIS LOVE FOR AN INSIGNIFICANT WORLD FULL OF SMALL AND INSIGNIFICANT CREATURES

Was sitting at my desk working as usual, and just nearly out of my eye’s range is the TV; there was a movie showing… and even though I can’t tell you much about the movie; just a bunch of terrorists blowing up places in the US, and some FBI agents ingenious attempts to get to their ringleaders, but at the end of the movie, there was a way they did a reverse magnification of the earth in orbit, starting from the street on which two FBI agents were standing, talking about God and trying to understand Him, and it went on to show to a zoomed out view of the city, the state, the country, the continent, till all you see is a giant ball in orbit amongst other elements of the universe, and I just began to wonder…

Here we are in this small corner of the globe, making a mess of our lives and clawing at each other’s throats on a daily basis; whining about what the government did or did not do; wringing our arms angrily over the recession, and all that… and in the bigger plans of the creator, we are just a small speck of landmass in a corner of a continent in a small planet compared to other planets, stars and galaxies, yet God still considers each one of us differently…It is a wonder!

How big is this universe? How massive? How unending? We are yet to discover everything there is to discover even about this earth; granted that scientists are trying to unravel other planets and elements, but we may not even have scratched the surface. I say to a lot of people, our very small minds can never really comprehend how vast and dimensionless this whole universe is.

They say that the creator is always bigger that the creation, so if this universe is this vast, how about you try to imagine how might and awesome the almighty God is! Do you not ever wonder how great God is really? Do you not look at this universe and wonder about the person in charge of this whole thing? I am sure hoping that I don’t have someone reading this who doesn’t believe that this whole universe is the handiwork of a great craft master and administrator. Truly, our vanity must not prevent us from acknowledging that someone put this whole thing together. This universe is certainly not here by some mysterious randomness. It was imagined, planned, created and continues to administered by a supernatural being. The rain in its season; the dryness in its season; the sun in the day; the moon at night; the stars; I can go on and on. Truly, the bible was on point when it’s said that only a foolish man will say that there is no God.

I look at the Atlantic Ocean, constantly raging and constantly angry; the waves continuously lashing out at the shores. Then I look at the Pacific Ocean, peaceful and blue like a vast horizontal gentle giant that never bothers anybody. Then there is the Tsunami, making a now frequent cameo appearance which, when it appears, turns an otherwise peaceful ocean into a torrent of death.

I see the volcanoes, spewing forth ashes that we call magma for thousands of kilometres; I see mountains with images hewed out of their sides by rushing waters going over them over several millions of seasons. I tell myself, there must be a God somewhere. I can go on and on, but all of these wondering makes me to remember the bible scriptures that says in Romans 1: 19-20

“For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made”

As I sat there watching that awesome view of the globe amongst other elements in the galaxy, I had this vivid impression of how much smaller our planet is compared with a lot of other planets. And I imagine myself in this my little corner of this small planet, and the thought that this awesome and great God knows me and cares for me filled my mind. I became painfully aware of how selfish I have been, praying constantly only about my needs, my wants, my passions, desires, and other foolish things that I may have prayed for over time, and I felt a bit silly. 

If God created all of the things He created, there must be a purpose for all that effort, all that work, all that majesty and beauty. By extension, there must be a purpose for all the humans he created, currently seven billion of us and still counting. He certainly wasn’t look for extras in a grand movie project, unseen and unrecognised in the gathering of actors and crew. He made each of us specifically for a purpose, of course which is why we are each unique and different, with different dental formation, iris, finger prints, elbow prints, and genes.

Honestly, the whole movie thing just threw up a session of soul searching in me once again. I began to ponder; am I sure why I am here? Am I doing what I was sent here to do? Am I considering that I have a part properly written out in the almighty’s script for this whole universe, and that there is a time and place for my entry into the movie and exit from it? Am I fulfilling purpose and achieving destiny? Am I mindful that day after day, my exit time is getting closer? Will I have done what I was sent here to do by the time the curtain is drawn? Like a footballer sent on to the pitch, he has to play to instructions of the coach and will only be said to have been successful only by the coach’s reckoning. If he doesn’t, he could get pulled of the field of play and someone will replace him. Unfortunately, God never runs out of substitute players, and for some people on this planet, they are pulled out of the game because they never made an impact with the play time they got.

Finally, watching the earth moving alongside other planets made me realise how insignificant we all truly are in the sight of this great God of the whole universe, and it made me more amazed that God could actually love just me in the special unique way that He does, different from the way he loves all the other people. It amazes me that He can come down to my level, and suffer my whining in the name of prayers, and my constant unfaithfulness. Not only that, He also constantly suffers my faithlessness and my absolute lack of confidence in His ability to do just what he promised in advanced that he would do.


I left the movie thankful that I know this God, and that I am accepted by Him as a son and as a friend. It’s the most wonderful feeling of all; that a small me can be known and loved by such a big and dimensionless God. It is really such an incredible feeling; and I hope you can spend sometime to reflect on this God and His mercy and grace!

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful write up and an inspiring reminder of the love of God for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God of all flesh, let me realise how great your love is to me and be able to withness this love to others. Amen.


    Thank you for this sir, Im blessed by it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im blessed with this, so so great is God's love towards us. May i find grace to show and tell people of this love. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. Thanks Mr Oguntunji. I appreciate your readership.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed I can't help but reflect on the grandeur of the universe and stars and by inference on the intelligence of the master craftsman that put everything together...each in its precise place! I saw a scientific documentary on Youtube (https://youtube.com/watch?v=5b9PssoJfLg) just a few days ago where it talked about how precise the relationship between the dimensions of the earth, the sun, the mass of the earth and it's distance from the sun had to be to support life on earth! What they concluded was that the ordering of these stars was too precise to be random. In the same video I heard mind blowing figures of the number of stars in the universe..figures like a billion trillion stars..etc Wao! And for relative size it said our planet is like a speck amongst the sand on the seashores when compared to the estimated number of stars there is..And because of these startling revelations many leading scientists are beginning to acknowledge that there is indeed a master designer behind all of these creations! God is awesome and his greatness is unfathomable. Even much more astounding is the thought of this unfathomable God having anything to do with man as infinitesimal as he is compared to His creation landscape. Thanks for highlighting this in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Festus... Mindblowing, these amazing facts about the universe... I always wonder why he created all those other pieces, the other planets, the stars, the comets, etc... if he is only specially interested in us...

    I guess he is as unfathomable as the universe he has created

    ReplyDelete

You don't have to make a comment, but if you do, please make it sensible. Life is too short for unreasonable comments. Thank you